Burnt-on food leftovers, as well as all sorts of stains and messes are what you are faced with when postponing oven’s maintenance is no longer an option.
Best Oven Cleaning Tips with Baking Soda
Surely keeping the appliance clean is a challenging task, but you don’t have to resort to harsh cleaning products. In fact, a simple eco-friendly ingredient like baking soda can meet your oven’s demands just as effectively as any chemical-based detergent. To successfully disinfect the oven with baking soda, just follow these five simple steps:
The first job you should deal with is to make sure you have all necessary cleaning supplies at your disposal. To clean the oven naturally with baking soda you need a fresh box of the ingredient, some white distilled vinegar, a clean towel or a cloth and a plastic spatula. Although baking soda is perfectly safe for your skin, you can wear rubber gloves while applying the scrubbing paste. Once you are done checking on your supplies, make sure the oven is empty and disconnected from the grid.
Make the paste ready
Take a bowl and mix a cup of baking soda with a quarter cup of water. In case you take advantage of a large oven, you might want to adjust the amounts, so that you can prepare a sufficient amount of paste. Did you know that you can banish nasty smells from the oven naturally? Baking soda will no doubt absorb unwanted odors from the appliance, but if you want to get the most of your green cleaning approach, add essential oils to the mixture. Just a few drops will be enough to improve the cleaning potential of the scrubbing paste. After you add all necessary ingredients, stir the mixture until you get a paste-like consistency.
Sanitize the racks
Your baking soda paste is ready, but don’t rush into applying it right away. First you should take care of your oven’s racks. They collect lots of dirt and grease, which is why you should never skip on that step. Take out the racks and soak them in hot water mixed with a little liquid dish soap. Let the racks sit in there for a few hours and then rinse them with warm water. If the racks seem extremely grimy, scrub them with the baking soda paste and a stiff brush to get rid of buildup food residue.
Treat the oven
You are finally ready to get the most of your eco-friendly baking soda paste. Put the rubber gloves on and lay a generous amount of the mixture all over your oven’s interior. Each nook of the machine should be covered with baking soda, or else germs and dirt wouldn’t be completely banished. For hard to access spots you can use an old toothbrush to apply the paste with. Bear in mind, however, that the heating elements of the oven shouldn’t be cleaned and you need to skip them while addressing the interior with a baking soda paste. As soon as you are certain your oven is fully covered with baking soda, let the paste sit overnight before you scrub loose grime with a plastic spatula. Wipe the interior with a damp towel to collect residue and finish the clearing procedure.
Don’t forget the door
Do you remember the white vinegar you added to your cleaning supplies? Mix it with the same amount of water and apply the solution on your oven’s door. To facilitate the task you can use a spraying bottle. Considering the fact that abrasive products should be avoided when cleaning an oven’s door, white vinegar is the perfect natural ingredient to employ. Spray the door with the mixture and wipe it with a soft cloth.
Cleaning the oven with baking soda is easy, isn’t it? Plus, this cleaning approach is totally harmless to your health, as well as to your expensive appliance.
5 reasons to clean your oven with baking soda
When it comes to doing cleaning chores, one of the worst ones you probably have is removing the gunk and splatters from the interior of your oven. Oven cleaning is, for most people out there, a really bad experience, because it involves the use of strong cleaning solutions and scrubbing off impurities.
But the fact is, there is a way to clean the oven without relying on heavy chemicals. Baking soda has always been a cleaning favorite among people who need quick and easy results. Here are a few great reasons for you to try out the same cleaning method:
- Baking soda is cheap – unlike some of the cleaning solutions you get from the store, you don’t need to pay a whole lot to get baking soda. It is a kitchen pantry staple, which costs just a fraction of what you would pay for some oven cleaners. Price is an important point, especially if you are already straining your budget to acquire other cleaning solutions for your home. When you can legitimately reduce the cost of cleaning by cutting the need for oven cleaning products, why wouldn’t you take that opportunity?
- Baking soda gets the job done – time and time again, people have been using baking soda to great success in their cleaning endeavors. This means it is an effective cleaning tool, which works well not just to clean your oven, but also in many other tasks. You can use it in the kitchen, in the bathroom and in various other rooms of your home. It is an ingredient that rightfully deserves the title of cleaning champion. It will be a waste if you don’t give it a try, especially when it can clean better than some of the expensive and dangerous cleaning solutions you can find in the store.
- It is easy to clean with baking soda – if you don’t like reading instructions on the label of your cleaning products, you can try baking soda. It is a nice break from the complexity that other products bring to the cleaning world. All you need to do is mix some baking soda with water, in order to form a paste. You then proceed to spread that paste on the oven interior, coating everything but the heating elements. Allow it to sit overnight and then wipe with a wet cloth. The baking soda will have done its job and you will find that it is super easy to clean up the mess. That is a very simple method, which works wonders. You can try it out even if you lack a lot of cleaning knowledge yourself!
- It is an eco-friendly way of cleaning – one more reason to try baking soda lies with the fact that it is an eco-friendly way of cleaning. Instead of relying on chemical-based products, you are using a natural solution, which doesn’t spell trouble for the environment. That is a solid benefit to consider, especially if you are all about a greener tomorrow.
- It is safer – since a lot of the cleaning products for oven need to be very strong, they come full of dangerous compounds. As you clean with them, you inhale these compounds, which can be really troublesome. Sometimes you can get a little light-headed and dizzy, or trigger allergic reactions. The picture is not pretty. But with baking soda, you will have no effect on your health, which makes it a great pick for cleaning.
These are all the great reasons to try cleaning your oven with baking soda. You will find this method more than a welcome change!